Saturday, May 14, 2016

Sabudana (pearl Tapioca) Khichri


A dish common in the states of Maharashtra and Gujarat, is commonly eaten during fasting days in India. My mother learnt it from her Maharashtrian friend. Each time she made it I loved the taste and would beckon her to make it more often. I would enjoy this dish in my Bombay hostel days, when we would be served with this, most Thursdays. I am sending across to you all, this recipe, written by my mom, more as her sweet love for me..

Ingredients: 250gr sago or sagudana.
 150gr. boiled and cubed potatoes
 125gr. roasted peanuts.
 2 tbsp. coconut powder.
 2 tsp. roasted jeera (cumin seeds) powder.
 1 tbsp. chopped fresh coriander leaves.
 1 tsp chopped green chilly.
 salt to taste.
 Pure ghee according to requirement.  

  Preparation: Soak sago in a bowl,adding water up-to the level of sago and a little more. Boil,peel and cut potatoes into small pieces.Grind roasted peanuts coarsely in a blender. 

 Method:  In a non-stick pan heat 2 tbsp ghee add potato cubes, roast for 5 minutes. Add soaked sago, jeera powder, coconut powder, salt, keep tossing till sago is tender and looks translucent. Add peanuts, mix nicely. If required can add little ghee.Turn off the gas and cover the pan.While serving sprinkle fresh coriander leaves.
 Enjoy this sumptuous snack with green coriander chutney.

No comments:

Post a Comment